Some of the time, you’ll come across this common sight of your drain pipes getting frozen during the winter. The pipes and the complete sewer line can freeze if the temperature is very low. This might damage the drain pipes and require calling professionals for drain repair in Crawley. However, if you want to save the cost, make sure to take necessary precautions to stop the drain pipes from freezing during the winter.
If you have an idea of how such things happen, you can save yourself an expensive mess in the future. Sometimes, the water might freeze while travelling through the pipes after being exposed to low temperatures. Especially if the temperature drops below 32 degrees Fahrenheit, the water will freeze. Scientifically, when the water freezes, the amount of water expands, resulting in the blocking of the drain pipes. Under such situations, drain clearance becomes difficult.
Signs suggesting freezing sewer pipe damages
- When the water freezes inside the pipes, it might expand and cause the pipes to burst, hence lookout for these signs of freezing pipes.
- Keep a note of the extremely cold temperatures, especially when the temperature falls below minus degrees Fahrenheit.
- If the waters are not flowing smoothly through the pipes and there’s a lack of insulation around the pipes
- If the heating is not reaching the gutters and the pipes sufficiently, leaving the drains exposed to a cooler temperature.
- If the drains and the sewer pipes are not installed at the proper depth.
How to prevent sewer pipes from freezing?
The weather is beyond your control. However, you can take necessary precautions to protect the sewer pipes against excessive freezing and damage.
- Try to keep the pipes insulated, especially if the pipes are situated at the outer end of the house.
- Ensure that the home temperature is warm to ensure that the pipes passing through the house are insulated and water doesn’t freeze in the same way.
- Keep the faucet running throughout the day at a very low rate to ensure that the water flow is running smoothly ensure that the water doesn’t freeze in between.
- Remove and clear snow from the entrances of the drains to prevent the snow from entering into the drain pipes.
Even after taking necessary precautions, if you have got a freezing sewer line, then make sure that you call professionals from Drainage Plus in Crawley. We are a locally run company specialising in drain repair and drain clearance services. Check our website for more details.